Monday, June 2, 2014

Helping others feel the spirit

This letter talks about how we can, in our everyday lives, help others feel the spirit and open their hearts to understanding.

First, a couple of references: Alma 37:35-37. Also check out this talk by Richard G. Scott:
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1989/10/learning-to-recognize-answers-to-prayer?lang=eng&cid=email-shared
As we ask our Father in faith, with real intent, we can be assured that as we endeavor to exercise our complete efforts, He will compensate for our infirmities and bring to pass miracles. Most often it is our own definitions of miracles which cloud our minds with sorrow and discontent. Though some people may seem to be impenetrable, each opportunity they have to feel the Spirit, every friend from the church who reaches out to them, and every mention of the blessings of the Gospel, the efforts have been made valiantly. The Spirit can only come unto their heart. It cannot force its way inside. But what I can suggest, and what I exhort the family to do is to take ten minutes this evening to bear testimony of the blessings of the Restoration of the Gospel. As President Fenn continually reiterates, and as I have sensed first hand, is that the Spirit is abundant as we testify of the Restoration. I promise you that if each of you succeed to expose your testimonies of Joseph Smith and priesthood power, they will not be able to deny the Spirit which will approach them. Another measure I recommend taking is, after bearing testimony, ask them how they feel.  Remember that the "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, [and] temperance” (Galatians 5:22–23). Explain that they do not need a dramatic spiritual manifestation to recognize truth. The Spirit speaks most often in impressions and feelings. As you take the care to help them recognize the Spirit, that they will know that what you say is true, and that they will have inched their toes onto the narrow path to the kingdom of God. Then get them to read the Book of Mormon.

Preach My Gospel talks about how members are usually afraid to invite people to church/read the Book of Mormon/meet with the missionaries.  But all you have to do is be sincere and assure the person that your relationship won't change, but that you wanted to share something you cherish to them. 

Anyway, the cookies arrived intact, but are a touch on the stale side.  They're still delicious, and I have two other witnesses to this. Being in a trio, I'm learning double the amount and at double the rate, which is no bother to me. Missionary work is thankfully becoming second nature, and the apprehension which originally ailed me has
dissolved considerably, allowing my desires to trump my fears to yield my joy. I am happy now.

I'll leave you with this quote from Lorenzo Snow, which has truly reformed my personal expectations: "Do not expect to be perfect all at once. If you do, you will be disappointed."

I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment